Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Book Review: Brick by Brick

Brick by Brick : How Lego Rewrote the Rules of Innovation and Conquered the Global Toy Industry
by David C. Robertson with Bill Breen
Crown Business, 2013

Brick by Brick by David C. Robertson, professor of practice at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, is a case study on the Lego company. It is designed to provide lessons on what works and what doesn't in business, especially a business that depends on creativity to survive.

I was reading it from a different perspective, however - as a mother of a young man who has spent the last decade obsessed with those tiny bricks in all their various forms. I've pored over catalogs, spent hours assembling sets, discussed pros and cons of various sets, been amazed by the creativity and detail, and learned the basics of programming a Mindstorm robot. While I don't enjoy being impaled by a Lego when in bare feet, I love that they are a creative toy that encourages imagination.

I enjoyed learning more about the background of this company that has become such a part of my life, especially the early history of how the Lego was developed. The more recent history provides insight into why some lines have been discontinued while others thrived. Brick by Brick pulls the curtain back and provides a behind-the-scenes look at an iconic company.


No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...