Friday, August 29, 2014

Adventures in Homeschooling - The First Week

Thank you to any of you who might have offered a prayer for the success of our homeschooling year. Our first week went relatively well. One of the advantages of having been at this so long is that the kids know the routine. Each day I put a list on our kitchen island of what they need to do for the day. Monday, the boys got up and grudgingly got to work.

I had Monday be an "easy" day focusing on Math, English, Writing, and Reading to get back into the swing of things. Tuesday started the full load. I already scrapped one of the curriculum items I had purchased - not that the book was bad - it just didn't suit us and I knew it was going to cause nothing but aggravation. I already put it up for sale on eBay - someone can benefit from it. One of the beauties of homeschooling it being able to make those type of adjustments. We are still covering the subject, but will be using books from the library.

One of the funniest moments of the week came on Wednesday when David suddenly realized he was an 8th grader. I mean, I think he was aware of the fact before that, but all of a sudden it hit him - that he was in 8th grade, a big kid by any definition, high school right around the corner. I really didn't know what to say. I'm sure the shock of the realization that he is in high school will be even greater next year! 

But for right now, 7th and 8th grade is where we are at. Hopefully the year will go well. One day at a time, we'll get through it! Stay tuned for further updates.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...